Nov 13, 2015

Forward controls for Yamaha Bolt by SS Custom Cycle

Yamaha Bolt forward control lengths
Overlay image of the SS custom Cycle forward controls and the Stock controls

I got the SS Custom Cycle forwards mounted yesterday. The kit itself is of reasonably good quality. Personally I would have preferred the relocation bars to be made out of steel instead of aluminium, but the parts are plenty strong as they are now. I have to say though, that the mounting instructions leave a lot of room for improvement, Tiny B&W pictures and the instructions don't really help with the tricky parts such as how to actually deal with the extension rods for the shifter and rear brake for example.

As for the peg location, I don't think I could make it work with anything much farther than the 4.5" that the SS kit provides. The protruding engine on the left side combined with the extended feet position would cause the heat guard to rub against my leg. The 4.5" extension does seem to make the rather big airbox much more comfortable as my leg now hits it in a different angle which doesn't feel uncomfortable anymore.

UPDATE 15.4. 

After some riding I'm happy to say that I'm able to rest my ankles on the pegs quite comfortably. This was something that I wanted to achieve with the forwards, it's a usefull option to have on longer stints. It's not a comfy option with sneakers, but with proper riding boots, there is no discomfort.



15 comments:

  1. Anonymous19/1/16 17:14

    Hey there, Just wondering how tall you are? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19/1/16 17:15

    Hey there, Just wondering how tall you are? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous22/2/16 18:21

    Are you happy with this mod? Can I install it on with only the out of the box items or do i need other parts to consider buying? I am thinking of getting one myself but not sure how it feels..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kit has everything you need. I'm happy with it so far, but be aware that I have done the installation during this winter and I haven't been able to ride yet with them installed.

      Delete
  5. Does it allow you to get lower without scrubbing the pegs. That's a issue I'm having w6mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. The forwards are actually a bit wider than the standard pegs due to the extension pieces so they might even scrape a bit earlier.

      Delete
  6. Since you seem to be from sweden, Im curious if tou got the bolt with abs? I got one and are trying to determine if the forward controls from ss custom will work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the Bolt with NO ABS. I chose to not have ABS precisely because it would cause grief when installing risers or forwards.

      Delete
  7. Hi I recently purchased a r-spec bolt that has c-spec rear foot controls on it. I'm curious if you are willing to sell me the stock oem foot controls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. any fitting instruction videos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fitted ss custom forward controls to my star bolt got to say in one word brilliant well done ss custom , next purchase will be your side mounted number plate. Thanks steve from forest of dean gloucestershire uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a pretty old blog and you may not be subscribing any longer. Anyhow I want to use the last image in this post on a public wiki for the yamaha bolt. I am posting there but if you have reservations or don't want me to use it, please reach out here and I can remove or credit you more than what you marked the photo with. I am subscribed to this facebook commenting and I am easily found on google if you need to get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you guys make C Spec forward controls?

    ReplyDelete